The Natural Buzz / Mother Earth News Fair
This past weekend at the Mother Earth Fair in Seven Springs, PA I gave several demonstrations on how to make your own remineralizing tooth paste from ingredients most people have on hand in their home. There were many people who stopped by our booth but missed the demonstrations. I'd like to thank each person who stopped by our booth and visited with us! We enjoyed meeting you and sharing information. Here is the recipe and logic behind each ingredient.
- Bentonite Clay – Bentonite clay has the ability to absorb toxins, heavy metals, & impurities.(I get mine at our local health food store but you can get it here)
- Calcium Carbonate/Magnesium Powder – Calcium & Magnesium help provide a good source of minerals and can whiten as well. Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium are actually the ingredients of Tums, Rolaids or Mylanta tablets. You can grind them in a food processor or coffee grinder. (If you prefer to purchase the powder this is a good source.)
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is a natural anti-bacterial & anti-fungal, and it also helps bind the ingredients together. Always use Organic Virgin Oil.
- Essential Oils – The essential oils I used in the demonstration were spearmint and tangerine. Spearmint oil has antibacterial and pain relieving properties. Tangerine oil is an excellent antiseptic. These are the oils I use in my daughters toothpaste. I like to add oils of oregano, tea tree, clove and blood orange to it. This gives it anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious, antiseptic, antiviral, antifungal, & antimicrobial properties. (I use several suppliers for my oils but I like this line of Organic Essential Oils.)
- Myrhh Gum Powder - Myrrh is commonly used in dental care and oral health. It helps prevent dental problems such as gingivitis, mouth ulcers, receding gums, sensitive teeth, toothache and bad breath. (Great source and Kosher too)
- Stevia – This is totally optional, but a small amount of stevia can add a touch of sweetness to your toothpaste. Be sure to look for one WITHOUT added glycerin. (this one is organic)
Other great ingredients that are optional.
Baking Soda – Baking soda helps whiten the teeth by removing stains, and also contains minerals & is alkaline.
Trace Minerals – Adding a boost of bio-available trace minerals will provide an array of extra minerals to your toothpaste.
Colloidal Silver - Colloidal silver destroys disease-causing microorganisms in the mouth, and soothes and heals the gums and oral tissues, while also boosting the immunity of the entire body.
Oil of Oregano - Is an antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory. This oil should be in your medicine cabinet!
This recipe will encourage remineralization of tooth enamel by neutralizing acids and bacteria, supplying calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus for strengthening teeth, and maintaining a naturally alkaline pH.
So…if you decide NOT to make your own and want to find a natural one here are the ingredients to avoid.
Glycerin-Coats your teeth and prevents the absorption of minerals. It can take as many as 20-30 rinses to get all the glycerin off your teeth after brushing.
Sodium lauryl sulfate – In addition to being linked to many auto-immune disorders it is also linked to aphthous ulcers (canker sores and other mouth ulcers) For more info on this ingredient.
Fluoride – This controversial ingredient reared its ugly as a popular form of rat poison. While most of us have been taught it’s beneficial for our teeth, research does not bear this out.